Click NEW FORM FOUR ENGLISH EXAMINATION FORMAT 2019 for the new format.
UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
REGIONAL ADMINISTRATION AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION
NEW PROPOSED EXAMINATION FORMAT - 2019
TIME: 3:00 HOURS 2019
1. This paper consists of sections A, B, and C with total of 12 (twelve) questions.
2. Read instructions under each section very carefully.
3. Answer all questions in sections A and B, and three questions in section C.
4. All answers must be written clearly in the answer sheets provided.
5. Cellular phones are not allowed in the examination room.
6. Write your examination number on every page of your answer sheet(s).
SECTION A (15 Marks)
PATTERNS AND VOCABULARY
Answer all questions from this section
1. Choose the letter of the most correct answer among the four alternatives given and write its letter against the question number in the answer sheets provided.
(i) ________ hour is enough for me to do exercise.
(ii) The boy ________ book was stolen cried angrily.
(iii) Mr. President is going to address ____________ today.
A. the poor
C. the poor people
D. poor people
(iv) They heard the rear of wind ________ the trees.
(v) _________ you had worked hard; you would have succeeded.
(vi) _________ the Doctor allows you; you won’t go home.
C. Only if
(vii) I might ________ for your ticket if I had the money
B. had paid
C. have paid
D. be paid
(viii) Biogas is cheap ___________ it is produced locally.
(ix) Mt. Kilimanjaro has the __________ beautiful glacier in Africa.
(x) Jobless people should _______ for new jobs whenever they are announced
- Match the items in column A with their corresponding items in column B by writing its letter against the question number in the answer sheets provided.
(i) A person who travels on foot
(ii) A person who entertains people by playing music videos
(iii) A person who advise people about the law and prepare legal documents for a court of law
(iv) A person who commits a crime
(v) A person who steal from people or places
SECTION B (40 Marks)
Answer all questions from this section
- Identify a word with a silent letter in the following sentences, then underline it.
(a) It takes half an hour to cross the park on foot
(b) My grandfather has an old-fashioned sword
(c) I broke my wrist yesterday.
(d) My Uncle has a beautiful lamb
- In each of the following sentences one word is used wrongly. Identify the wrong word and replace it with right word to make the sentences meaningful.
(i) Today we are going to use bred for breakfast
(ii) The old man was sleeping in his hat.
(iii) The girl was quiet innocent.
(iv) My new computer coasts TZS 400,000/=
- Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles where necessary.
Any, a lot of, many, enough, much, the, an, a,
(i) The earth moves around ________ sun.
(ii) It was __________ honour for our school to be awarded a medal.
(iii) My friend is _________ European.
(iv) Pemba is ___________ Island.
(v) How _______ Money do you want?
(vi) It is not _______ for all of us to share
(vii) You can choose _______ of the books you like
(viii) There is __________ water in an ocean
- Fill in the blank spaces with the appropriate prepositions.
(a) We saw beautiful birds flying ________ the tree.
(b) Mt. Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain ______ Africa
(c) The First Lady was sitting ___________ the President.
(d) The shop is ______ the corner of Makame Street.
(e) We found nothing _________ the cave.
(f) Someone is knocking ________ the door.
(g) The earth moves _________ the Sun.
(h) Our houses are facing each other. They are ____________ to each other.
7. Rewrite the following sentences according to the instructions given after each.
(i) You may come to the party in case you will have your drinks (Use: Provided that).
(ii) Ashura is tall. Juma is tall too. (Use: As..as).
(iii) When we arrived at town suddenly the rain begun. (Rewrite using: No sooner than)
(iv) Unless you study hard you will not pass exam (Rewrite using: If).
(v) That lady is very fat. She is unable to run fast (Join the two sentences using: Too …. to).
(vi) They eat all food (Change it into present perfect tense)
(vii) He is not my friend (Add the question tag)
(viii) She played hard. She was given a gift (Join by using: So _____That)
8. Write a letter to the editor of the Daily Newspaper complaining about deforestation in your village. Sign your name as SIKUJUA MANYANGA. P.O.Box 331, MPANDA.
SECTION C (45 Marks)
RESPONSE TO READING
Answer only three (3) questions from this section
LIST OF READINGS
NOVELS AND SHORT STORIES.
A wreath for Fr. Mayer - S.N Ndunguru (1977), Mkuki na Nyota.
Unanswered cries - Osman Conteh, Macmillan.
Passed like a shadow - B.M. Mapalala (2006), DUP
Spared - S.N Ndunguru (2004), Mkuki na Nyota.
Weep not child - Ngugi wa Thiong’o (1987), Heinemann.
The interview - P. Ngugi (2002), Macmillan.
Three Suitors; One Husband - G. Oyono. Mbia (1994), Eyre Methuen
The Lion and the Jewel - W. Soyinka (1963), OUP
This time tomorrow - Ngugi wa Thiong’o (1972), Heinemann
The black Hermit - Ngugi wa Thiong’o (1968), Heinemann
Songs of Lawino and Ocol - O. P’ Bitek (1979), EAPH
Growing up with poetry - D. Rudadiri (ed) (1989), Heinemann
Summons - R. Mabala (1980), TPH
9. With reference to two poems, analyse the differences between poetry and other literary genres. (Give three differences from each poem)
10.“Poets write relevantly to their clear message to the intended audience”. By using two poems you have read under this section, show how the poets have successfully portrayed the contemporary issues. (4 points from each poem)
11.By using two (2) novels you have studied show how the titles of those books have a relationship to the message given inside the books. (Give three points from each reading).
12.By using two plays you have read explain how some traditions, customs and beliefs contribute to misunderstanding and underdevelopment in the society. (Give three points from each reading).
NB: We are building one house. Your suggestions are sincerely invited.